Saturday, January 24, 2009

Vital Signs -Natalie Kusz

Vital Signs by Natalie Kusz really made me think back deeper about the paper I am writing. I thought about all of the different senses that she used in her writing and how I could add a lot more sensory details into my own paper. I really liked how she talked about the smell of things in her past and recognizing the smells once she got older, how it brought up old memories for her and past experiences in her life. I know for me that everytime I go into a hospital that the smell of the halls and especially the foods bring back the memory of the month that I had spent visiting my dad in the hospital everyday after he had be shot. I can think back to specific moments and remember everything about that particular moment, what everyone was wearing, where everyone was sitting and exactly what they were saying, I can remember every thought that passed through my mind as I heard every word that the doctor said. I remember the smell of every lunch and dinner. Most of all, I got to see how much sensory details can really make a piece of writing come alive, they help readers be able to paint a picture while they're reading a piece of work. They are very helpfull.

No comments:

Post a Comment