Wednesday, January 21, 2009

the scariest day of my life.

It was 2:30 in the morning and all I could hear were crickets chirping and the settling of the house. My dad had grown restless and gone on a late night walk around the neighborhood. Before I knew it an it was 3:30 and there was still no sign of him. I heard a loud bang and tires screech as someone speeds down the street. I hear a very familar voice yell "help! I've been shot!" I frantically jump out of bed and run down the hall to see what had happend when all at once it hit me that my dad had been shot in my own front yard. After about forty five minutes of dealing with cops the scariest moment of my life happend, watching my dad leave in an ambulance not knowing if I would ever see him alive again or if the next I would see him would be in a casket. I was terrified at that moment because I knew that I was the reason that he couldn't sleep, I was the reason that he had taken that late night walk and if he were to die that it would my fault. Before I had gone to bed that night I had argued with him for hours, it felt like it would never end. I told him of everything that I didn't like about him, I didn't hold back anything. I told him how I hated him, that I wish I would have never met him and I never knew who my father was. I can still see his face when I told him he was a sorry excuse for a father ealier that night, but as I sat and watched him bleeding to death in my front yard unable to move any of his limbs I regretted every word that I said to him just hours before. I couldn't help but think that if I had thought before I spoke or if I had just handled things more rationally that my dad would have been in bed sleeping like a baby and would have been spared. If I hadn't been such a drama queen about not being able to go stay at a friends house that night or if I didn't take my dad for granted that this would have never happend. I got lucky and got to see my dad alive after hours and hours of surgery and many close calls of loseing him. I got a second chance to really appreciate my dad. I had to learn the hard way not to take anything for granted, that at any moment anything could be taken away from me, even my own father.

No comments:

Post a Comment